Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Okay, so the new equipment and resulting motivation paid off. Tonight I had my first official Ironman training workout. Here are the details:

Swim 2000 Meters:
  • 300 Meter Warmup (free)
  • 100 Meter Freestyle at 1:40/100 pace
  • 200 Pull
  • 300 Kick
  • 100 Meter Freestyle at 1:40/100 Pace
  • 200 Pull
  • 300 Kick
  • 300 Freestyle at 1:40/100 Pace
  • 200 Swim Down
Observations:
  1. Breaking down the workout is much easier than what I have been doing. My swim workouts in the past have all been like: get in the pool and swim freestyle at as fast I could for as long as I could. Maybe take a few breaks. But pretty much if the race I was training for was 800 Meters, I would not stop until I hit 800 then I would triple it for good measure. All in, breaking it down seems a lot easier.
  2. Kick fins are my new friends. I named my right fin Clyde and my left Dale. I love them and may even let them stay inside the house tonight.
  3. The swim paddles were much harder than I remembered. I think I may use them while kicking to get my technique tuned up. When using them for the first time in a while (years) with the pull bouy, I found myself all over place.
  4. Note to self: calm down on the first 50 of the kick drill. Sure it is neat to go fast, but it may result in a quad cramp in about 200 meters for now.
  5. For some reason, I have the hardest damn time calculating swim distances in my head. My new nifty little finger counter went tits up after 48 laps. I think I may be mentally challenged. I try to chant to myself what lap I am on, but it all just gets mixed up. Why is this so hard and am I alone in this challenge?
  6. From now on, I will need to write down my workout and maybe even plan it a little better before getting to the pool. Paper does not seem to last very long at poolside.
Finally, here is a confession. I was pretty pumped and proud to march into the pool with my new Keifer Swim Bag bursting with cool new and brightly colored swim toys... I was really fired up. That is until I saw fat-ass carrying it in the full length mirror in the locker room. Ouch, maybe I am not that cool. I think this may be some sort of payback from me making fun of "that guy." I am officially, "that guy." You know, the one that has all the right gear but is clearly terrible, slow and showing off. Next time I think I may just wrap Clyde and Dale in a towel and sneak them in. Or maybe not, who knows, maybe I'll get over it. I sure hope this weight starts dropping soon!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so bad at calculating swim distance too....and, trust me, paper doesn't work...I have tried the pool side write down thing and I end up with a soggy mess by my flip flops.

I am so jealous you got to swim tonight! I so badly wanted to swim tonight and have that alone time, but good ole work is keeping me home. I am so emotionally and mentally drained. I crave my routine of working out that I have missed for the past week and a half! I am dying to get back in the pool and then go jogging! Tomorrow, I will start training with you. Screw work! It is so overrated and I am way underpaid to be working these hours! By the way, I think you look hot in spandex:) and a swim cap! Swimmers/ironmen are HOT!

Darren Durrett said...

Oh holy crap, you need some new contacts!

Brenden said...

you could put the paper in a plastic cover slip thing and tape it to that wall!! well, that's what i would do at least! :-) !!!! man, reading this really makes me want to swim soooooo bad.

phatDaddy said...

great job. one other suggestion for you would be to take the 'before' shirtless picture. i always forget to do that. also, don't forget to be careful with the pull paddles. shoulder injuries suck in the pool

Darren Durrett said...

You don't think that picture of my Phat ass from the McKinney Tri wouldn't work as a "before"?