Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Tonight's workout was a little different... I went with RD to Power Yoga before the swim. I thought the stretching would be great for gimp foot and strength for my core (which is rather large right now). I found myself hating myself for choosing Yoga about 15 minutes in. Someone please tell me how the hell that is supposed to be relaxing? The instructor kept saying (in an annoying calm voice like a kindergarden teacher) "find your happy place, just let go, go deep into your heart, release the day and all the negative..." Meanwhile, I am trying to balance on one hand with my body twisted and every muscle tense causing me to shake... I am sweating so much that I am sliding on my little mat... Yeah, I got your happy place right here, biaznatch!

Swim Workout #5: 1,650 Meters

  • 300 Warmup
  • 3 x 100 Free for Time (1:22.38, 1:38.44, 1:38.44)
  • 200 Pull with paddles
  • 200 Kick with fins
  • 200 pull with paddles
  • 200 kick with fins
  • 250 swim down

Observations:
  1. Yoga, is not synonymous with relaxing and stretching. It reminded me of Junior High Football practice where coach made you lay on your back and hold your legs out straight, toes pointed 3 inches off the ground for an hour. That is basically power yoga, i.e., flex in some weird and awkward position and hold it until it hurts then hold it for about three minutes longer. Yeah, it sucks.
  2. Confession: I think Yoga may be the ticket to a good and injury free ironman
  3. This is an old one, but found it once again: you can go just as fast with a slow stroke and good form as cranking hard with bad form.
  4. I am seriously considering joining a masters program... maybe Plano Wet Cats. We'll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Real men do yoga :) Thanks for going with me even though it kicked both our asses.....I think it should get easier over time. I mean, we (or I) haven't gone to yoga since May. Pretty soon, we will be rockin' the crow pose or whatever kind of bird pose that was!