Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Okay, so I skipped the workout yesterday... Worked late and came home deflated. Oh well. Today was better. We started off the day with another feeble attempt to get up in the morning. Again, we slept in. For me it was the ole snooz-a-roonie routine for an hour (6 minutes at a time)and a startling surprise to see the clock say 6:45... especially when I had a 7:30 appointment. So I started the day in a mad rush and it never slowed down. Back to back appointments and fire drills until I got home at 6:30. The good news is that we promptly went for a run upon my arrival. It was great! Becca left her ipod at work so we got to talk while we ran. It was actually quite nice to visit and catch up free from the distraction of the computer, TV, Dogs, ringing phones, etc... It was probably one of the more fun runs on record. We ran 35 minutes. The distance is unknown and frankly unimportant. The pace was slow and comfy.

Following the run, we went to 24 for a swim-a-rooskie. Here is the breakdown:
- 300M Warmup
- 10 x 50 Kick alternating fast and slow with 15 sec rest
- 200M easy freestyle
- 10 x 50 Pull drill with paddles with 15 sec rest
- 2 x 100 sprints 30 sec rest between
- 300M cool down

The swim was great. I tried to quit after the sprints but Becca made me finish. I am glad she made me tho. The pool was super crowded tonight. There was only one other person in the there that could swim more than a 25 without stopping. I first noticed him on my last set of pulls. We finished at the same time. He was a huge guy, pretty cut and spoke with what I thought was a Russian accent. In the locker room he struck up a conversation about my new TYR swim bag. He then begins grilling me about what I am training for... he was basically begging me to ask him the same. I was on to him from the start so I decided to refrain as an experiment. I listened and answered his questions but remained completely self absorbed... I asked him nothing. He could not stand it and eventually began spilling. Turns out that he is also training for a triathlon... an Olympic. But he has done a half before. He runs 6:45 miles in the half and does not like the bike. He is thinking of getting a new bike this season but is not sure. He swims 1,500 everyday and runs on the treadmill in the afternoons. Today he missed his usual 5:00 so was in here tonight to swim his 1,500. I am thinking... "is this guy for real?" He began spilling his life story basically. Then I started to see myself... I have done this before... mainly out of insecurity, but I have. It was entertaining at the least. I mean he was only in the pool for my last 700. Before I left, I introduced myself as me and he shook my hand and introduced himself as Juan. I was amused and smiled to myself as I shouldered my new bag and exited the locker room. I met Rebecca in the lobby and launched into the tale of the Juan the Russian triathlete. That made me giggle a little. I am excited to do the Ironman and want so bad to have the distinction, but if I ever get like Juan, someone please slap my fatass!

No comments: